[Wolves] Smoothwall

Adam Sweet wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 20 11:14:01 2003

 --- Lee Jordan <leej80@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is
Smoothie supposed to show up on the network? I
> have set the GREEN NIC to
> be 192.168.1.1 and set the gateway on my windows
> machine (parents machine)
> to point to the GREEN NIC at 192.168.1.1. Am I doing
> something horribly
> wrong, because I still can't reach the web interface
> on
> http://192.168.1.1:80 or http://smoothwall:81 from
> my windows machine

As Jono says this is mostly right, however make sure
thats :81 and not :80 as you put above. Again as Jono
says, http://smoothwall:81 fails sometimes, usually in
Windows, so stick to the IP address. As Re-LoaD says,
it sounds like dhcp is failing, so in Windows, try
ipconfig /renew or the Linux equivalent which ahem...
I don't actually know offhand.

Ultimately you shouldn't have to worry about setting
dns server or gateway addresses, it will all just work
when when you get a dhcp lease from your smoothwall.

> DNS : 192.168.1.2 and .3
> GW : 192.168.1.1

Are you running DNS servers on .2 and .3? Unless you
are this is very weird. Smoothwall handles DNS
requests and uses your net connection (although you
say there isn't one) for ones it can't resolve.

Undo your dns and gateway settings on your client
machines, set up your smoothwall dhcp settings as per
the screenshot of my own settings at
http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~a0083206/other/dhcp.jpg and
refresh the dhcp lease on the clients as I described
above.

See if that works. It works for me. Your network cards
in the smoothwall got picked up by the installation
process correctly didn't they?

If none of that works, do the idiot checks. Double
check you're using the right cable ;) I spent 2 months
of head scratching trying to set up my DMZ then
remembered it was machine to machine, no switch and I
was using a straight through cable not a crossover
*blush*. Double check all cables are seated properly
and any hubs or switches are ok.

Cheers,

Ad

=====