[Wolves] Mepis

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Thu Apr 1 13:21:57 BST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Matthew Revell wrote:
> Aquarius wrote:
>
> >>Does anyone have any thoughts on why Red Hat derivatives appear to have
> >>been more successful than Debian derivatives?
> >
> > I suspect because Suse and Mandrake have been around longer.
>
> Okay, let's ask it a slightly different way. Why did SuSe and Mandrake
> choose Red Hat as their base, do you think?

because Red Hat was considered best of breed at the time.  Now debian is
used by _normal_ people as well and people have seen the power of apt and
how flexible the system debian is considered the best base system

It is helped by the fact that debian is free, and always will be so
independent developers can invest in it's future with no fear.

sparkes