[Wolves] Smoothwall or router oh and cionnection sharing?

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 12:04:02 BST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 11:47, Rob Annable wrote:
> > I've had a smoothwall for ever and a day now, which has been fine apart
> > from its reluctance to allow some people to ftp thru it and also its
> > inability to use any web cam progs like MS Messenger from a computer
> > behind it.
>
> Interesting. I'm thinking about setting up a smoothwall box, didn't know
> that it would scupper MSN web cams - surely there's some way to specify the
> port number it needs to go through?
>

> Rob

Ha, well yes in principle - but MSN uses a random port - one of a
<large> number, can't remember if it was 100 or five hundred , which you
can't specify - so you have to manually forward every port to your
client, which would take hours to type in. i think the paid for version
of smoothie allows you to do ranges ie forward 3400-3500 to xxx.
This also applies to chat thru MSN as well btw.

The ftp thing I can't get my head around, it appears that a client with
a bog standard pc and no separate firewall can get thru smoothie , but
if the client has a standalone firewall or router they can connect but
not get the data connection - my head hurts when i try to even describe
this but its something like if they try an active connection then the
ftp assigns a random data port which smoothie doesn't like allowing in,
and if they try passive connection THEIR firewall won't allow the port
that your ftp assigns.
I gave up on my ftp server!