[Wolves] Smoothwall or router oh and cionnection sharing?

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 12:14:08 BST 2004

> Ha, well yes in principle - but MSN uses a random port - one of a
> <large> number, can't remember if it was 100 or five hundred
> , which you
> can't specify - so you have to manually forward every port to your
> client, which would take hours to type in. i think the paid
> for version
> of smoothie allows you to do ranges ie forward 3400-3500 to xxx.
> This also applies to chat thru MSN as well btw.
>
> they try an active connection then the
> ftp assigns a random data port which smoothie doesn't like
> allowing in,

IIRC ftp works using a command connection (on port 21) and then, when you
try to down/upload a file a second data connection on a port negotiated
between client and server so downloading a file doesn't effect commands.

So a both a client side and server side firewall would need to allow access
through port 21 (the command connection) AND the data connection port range
which should be configurable by the ftp server config file.

Or have I got FTP completly wrong (its a long time since I looked at this)?

chris

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.