[Wolves] credit card signatures etc

Jon Farmer jonfarmer at enta.net
Wed Apr 7 15:05:11 BST 2004

Simon Burke wrote:

> I just don¹t like it, the problem I have is that I only have a switch, and
> cant get a c-card, yet I do a lot of purchasing online. If these pin cards
> wont b accepted online (as implied in a previous e-mail im knackered really,
> as I  pay for some costs and bills this way.

I went to a HSBC conference on this subject well over a year ago. The
schemes will NOT be mandatory for quite a while yet although you will
find that some retailers might not accept internet transactions for Visa
or Mastercard where there is no password. That being said the systems
are a few years off becoming mainstream IMHO. They have started to do
some advertising in the USA and their websites talk a lot about it. We
currently use a company called Secure Trading for our real time
authorisations and their homepage www.securetrading.co.uk has links
regarding their implemetation.

As regards switch cards I know of no schemes like these so I would guess
if they dont introduce one in the next few years they could be seen as a
   extra security risk for cardholder not present internet transactions.

Regards

Jon

--
Jon Farmer