[Wolves] MCSE 'again'

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 17:31:02 BST 2004

> > Seriously however, "vi" is _always_ on a Unix/Linux box,
> and for this
> > point it is worth knowing at least how to edit a file.
> >

> Yeah I know that emacs isnt the best editor to use and I do
> know why but the
> prob is that its what I am used to, I'm slowly picing up vi,
> but  emacs just
> seems so much more simplistic to me. I know enougth of vi to
> edit config
> files and such but anything else im opening another console
> and going 'man
> vi'.

<emacs zelot>
Do not listen to the unbelivers for surely they shall be lost to the limbo
of edit mode and command mode and spend eternity desperatly trying to
remember how to delete that *$#@ing character they typed thinking they were
in edit mode as the heretics they are.... Do not stray from the true path of
rightousness that is Emacs, the one true editor.
</emacs zelot>

I have never yet met a unix box that didn't have emacs (or Xemacs) installed
to be honest but that arguement is always the one that is bought out. The
truth is that vi and emacs have different philosophies either an editor is
something you fire up do a bit of editing and then close down, or an editor
is something you fire up once and spend most of your time in and only go
outside of for a few tasks. Vi is the former, if you want to read your mail,
close vi and startup pine, emacs is the latter, if you want to read your
mail quickly fire up the mail mode read it and go back to editing.

Arguements of Vi and Emacs are a sickness of the mind...

I actually have quick refernece sheets for emacs and vi (one side of a4
each) which I will donate to the wiki if people are interested.

chris (resident emacs zealot who used to use it as a login shell instead of
bash :-)

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.