[Wolves] MCSE 'again'

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 17:36:10 BST 2004

> <emacs zelot>
> Do not listen to the unbelivers for surely they shall be lost to the limbo
> of edit mode and command mode and spend eternity desperatly trying to
> remember how to delete that *$#@ing character they typed thinking they were
> in edit mode as the heretics they are.... Do not stray from the true path of
> rightousness that is Emacs, the one true editor.
> </emacs zelot>
>
> I have never yet met a unix box that didn't have emacs (or Xemacs) installed
> to be honest but that arguement is always the one that is bought out. The
> truth is that vi and emacs have different philosophies either an editor is
> something you fire up do a bit of editing and then close down, or an editor
> is something you fire up once and spend most of your time in and only go
> outside of for a few tasks. Vi is the former, if you want to read your mail,
> close vi and startup pine, emacs is the latter, if you want to read your
> mail quickly fire up the mail mode read it and go back to editing.

Hah! To XEmacs' credit, it does at least have a few games - Tetris being
one. I was on a training course a few years ago doing basic Shell stuff
for Tru64, and being a clever clogs I already knew it all, so I spent my
time playing tetris. If it wasn't for Emacs there wouldn't have been
anything for me to play...

David.