[Wolves] Morphix/Debian and CD drives

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 11:06:21 BST 2004

Matthew Revell wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> After a brief, and misguided, dalliance with Fedora over the weekend, I
> reinstalled Morphix Gnome, then did a dist-upgrade to Sid, yesterday.
>
> It doesn't seem to have recognised my IDE CD drives, this time round,
> tho'. I have a CD-RW and a DVD-ROM drive, both of which seemed to work
> fine when I installed Morphix KDE, previously.
>
> My first question is to do with the dev name that these drives are
> assigned. At the moment, I can't find out what Debian is calling them.
> So, what's the difference between /dev/hdc and /dev/cdrom?
>
> I've added a couple of lines to the fstab, which reference /dev/hdc and
> /dev/hdd as iso9660 noauto, ro, users 0 0 (I *think*, don't have details
> here).
>
> Any thoughts peeps?

Perhaps they are being detected as ide-scsi drives to make cd burning
etc easier. If this is the case they'll probably be either /dev/scdN or
/dev/sdX (I think).

To check this look in either /etc/lilo.conf (is there an
append="hdc=ide-scsi"

line? or does /etc/grub.conf (or /boot/grub/menu.lst) contain a similar
configuration (probably mentioning ide-scsi).

Interesting I discovered that there is no longer any need to use the
ide-scsi stuff for cdburning now - as cdrecord can be used with the
"dev=ATAPI:0,0,0" type options, which lets it work properly, and appear
as a normal ide drive (e.g. /dev/hdc)

(That's with debian unstable, updated yesterday)

thanks,
David.