[Wolves] Fool and his money

Simon Burke its_simon_burke at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 15:04:13 BST 2004

On 13/4/04 2:42 pm, "sparkes" <sparkes at phreaker.net> wrote:

----(snippity)-----(snip)----
> free software does not mean it has to be free to buy.  see gnu.org
> philosophy section to clear up this common misunderstanding.
>
> My point was (not very clear admittedly) that the majority of the
> software in suse and mandrake are free (as in speech) so what bits are
> you paying for? because the download versions are free.  Do you require
> the commercial software that comes in the pay for version? or are you
> just paying for the media.  If you are paying for the media you can get
> the download version for the cost of the media and postage from several
> good vendors.

True there isn't much difference though I think the differences are the
number of apps you get, not necessarily pay for apps the media and if you
buy you usually get around something like a 1yr support subscription thingy
and manuals printed and in the box. Though I found that with the suse
manuals (I bought suse8) it looks lie they chucked the German manuals
through a translator, it has the German sentence structures and I found the
occasional German word

--
Thanks,
Simonb