Fedora woes was Re: [Wolves] Morphix/Debian and CD drives

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 01:46:11 BST 2004

 --- Matthew Revell <wolveslug at understated.co.uk wrote
> keep meaning to look at Mandrake but it never seems
> to like whatever
> hardware I try it on :)

Ahh, don't bother. I used Mandrake for a few years
while I was learning what I was doing and it's great
for just that, however as soon as you start to know
enough about Linux to be able to do stuff it just
becomes frustrating. Thats what I found anyway. Little
things just don't work properly. If you know enough
about Linux to be able to do stuff, then use Fedora
Core, SUSE or even better, Debian.

I found installing stuff on Mandrake too frustrating,
even recently, because if you want to install
something that wasn't packaged by Mandrake and has
dependencies then you have to risk breaking stuff by
using unofficial or most likely, Red Hat rpms which
will give you version conflicts. It was a fucking
nightmare, long live APT.

If you want to use Mandrake, use Fedora Core instead
unless it's your first Linux exploits, in which case
it's great for you.

I have to admit though, I still keep a Mandrake disk
lying around just for the partitioning tool ;)

> Cheers,
>
> Matthew Revell.

Ad

=====