[Wolves] Kernel 2.6 compile

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 13:55:18 BST 2004

Matthew Revell wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I'm gonna attempt a kernel 2.6 compile on my Athlon Debian machine, this
> weekend. Does anyone have any general tips?

Have you compiled kernels before? (e.g. 2.4.XX?)

I'd suggest you get a working config from somewhere (perhaps the debian
kernel source includes it?). Some distros have it in either /boot or
/proc/config.gz (SuSE at least). Not sure about Debian.

Copying this file to /usr/src/$kernelversion/.config and running "make
oldconfig" will allow you to rebuild an identical kernel. You can then
run "make menuconfig" or "make kconfig" (?kde version?) and select
things at will.

Compilation is a simple "make modules modules_install install" (at least
this worked for me).

To be honest, it's not really worthwhile compiling your own kernel if
your distro has one at the same version/release... as the distro one
will include everything in a modular fashion and support everything.

You might find it easiest/quickest to start with the debian source
package, ensure this compiles/works nad then modify it slightly as you
investigate the various options within the kernel...

Thanks
David.