[Wolves] Kernel 2.6 compile

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Thu Apr 15 22:40:02 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 13:53, sparkes wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 13:37, Matthew Revell wrote:
> > Howdy all,
> >
> > I'm gonna attempt a kernel 2.6 compile on my Athlon Debian machine, this
> > weekend. Does anyone have any general tips?
> make sure you don't break your booting lilo or grub.  You might need to
> boot into it again later ;-)

This is where grub really scores over lilo, as you just need to setup
the entries to your kernels in /boot/grub/menu.lst and you dont have to
remember to run a program once you have built & installed the kernel.

Keep an entry to a known working kernel in the file

Also, make a boot floppy (or 3) for your existing system using the known
good kernel.  This is your "get out of jail free" card. ;)

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk
ron at wellsted.org.uk