[Wolves] Kernel 2.6 compile

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Fri Apr 16 00:42:30 BST 2004

David Goodwin spoo'd forth:
> Matthew Revell wrote:
>> Howdy all,
>>
>> I'm gonna attempt a kernel 2.6 compile on my Athlon Debian machine, this
>> weekend. Does anyone have any general tips?
>>

> Have you compiled kernels before? (e.g. 2.4.XX?)
>
> I'd suggest you get a working config from somewhere (perhaps the debian
> kernel source includes it?). Some distros have it in either /boot or
> /proc/config.gz (SuSE at least). Not sure about Debian.

It does. Look in /boot and you will find the .config for each installed
kernel.

I would recommend installing grub *first*, before building your new
kernel, and then read /usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian.gz, which
tells you how to set up automatic updates -- when you install a new
kernel, it will then be automatically added to your boot menu (the
point being that the *old* kernel will still be there, so if the
new one doesn't boot then you can go back to the old one).

Aq.

--
Two things I learned for sure during a particularly intense acid trip
in my own lost youth: (1) everything is a trivial special case of