[Wolves] Email help

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Fri Apr 16 12:22:53 BST 2004

David Goodwin spoo'd forth:

>> I use fetchmail, spamassassin, clamAV, Procmail and IMAP
>>

> Ick.. I forgot I used procmail.
>
> SpamAssassin only seems to be catching approx 50% of my spam, any
> suggestions for improvement? (Latest version installed with perl -MSPAN
> -e shell ....=> install Mail::SpamAssassin)

SpamBayes. You do have to go through the training process, and it takes
a little while. When you set it up, *do not* start filtering
"possibly-spam" and "spam" into different mailboxes. Integrate
spambayes with your mail client (how you do that is up to you; I can
give instructions for mutt) so that you can mark-as-spam and delete
with one keypress (or mouse click). Grit your teeth and prepare for two
weeks where you get all the spam that spamassassin was hiding; mark all
your spam as spam, and mark all your non-spam as ham. After a couple of
weeks, then start filtering your mail based on what SpamBayes thinks of
it. I've been running it for abut a month, maybe less, and it catches
very nearly all my spam, and it has not produced one false positive
yet. As long as you've got good integration with your mail client
you'll find it easy. I used to hit "s" to save a message into a mailbox
(I save *all* mail that isn't spam) and "d" to delete; I bound "s" to
be "mark as ham (non-spam) and then save" and "S" to be "mark as spam
and then delete", so I'm not doing any extra work. SpamBayes is
excellent. Highly recommended.

Aq.

--
In fact, I've never seen an argument about which I cared less. I'm
completely case insensitivity insensitive.