[Wolves] Potted Samba/XP howto

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Fri Apr 16 13:20:18 BST 2004

Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
>>>What's worse tho'? A project that gave it a go but failed, or
>>>pre-emptive apathy? :)
>>

>> Preemptive apathy, because failed projects *never go away*. If we did
>> it, it didn't work, and we decided to remove it, then there would still
>> be Google hits and links to it, which would either (a) 404, which is
>> bad, or (b) link to incomplete, out--of-date, and useless information.
>> If I could kill all the wrong info on the web, then, yes, the web would
>> be quite a bit smaller, but it'd also be quite a bit more useful...
>
> Ach, Aq, you're a cynic, man. I don't have the time to give to a project
> like this - I'd love to - but if other people feel they have, then why
> not? Good Lord, hardly anything would happen in the world if everyone
> said, "Well, nobody's succeeded in doing this before, so I'll give up now".
>
> As a LUG, at the moment, we exist as a mailing list and some great
> nights out. Even if it may end up in failure, why not support the idea
> of people from the LUG doing something that could help the Linux community?

Hey, don't get me wrong, here: I'm not stopping anyone else doing it.
If I gave that impression then I am very sorry, and it's not what I
intended to project. I'm trying to warn of problems I see with the
idea, but that doesn't mean that I'm right. If someone puts something
together and it's good then I'll be the first to applaud. I'm just
trying to ensure that people are aware that we have thought of this
sort if idea before and nothing has come of it; if this new idea is
qualitatively different for some reason then I am all for it and the
very best of luck to you all for doing it. Please don't take from this
that I'm unhappy about it happening; I just want people to be aware of
the issues.

Aq.

--
japh.py: