[Wolves] Email help

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 14:28:15 BST 2004

Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>As a user you will then connect to the mail server
>>over IMAP and read
>>your mails. You might then log out/reboot the
>>machine/switch email
>>clients, and continue reading the same messages etc
>>(as it's all server
>>side stuff).
>

> This is *exactly* what I want to do. So, I assume this
> IMAP server will also store mail folders (such as my
> wolves-lug folder) on the server to so I can view
> folders in every client?
>
> So does the IMAP server sit on top of the MTA? If I am
> right, this is the process:
>
>  - Fetchmail grabs POP3 mail from ISP
>  - IMAP receives the mail and stores it on the server
>  - Client connects to the IMAP server to send/receive
> email
>
> Right?
>
>   Jono

Mostly. You're missing out the fact that you need some sort of Mail
Transfer Agent (e.g. Sendmail or Postfix).

Normally procmail gets given the mail by the mta, and puts it in an
appropriate folder (or your default inbox if you've not specified anything)

I don't think (although I may well be wrong) that fetchmail can deliver
direct to an IMAP (or similar) server. And I don't think fetchmail can
deliver to e.g. procmail direct either.

David.