[Wolves] Internet with a mobile?

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 10:49:03 BST 2004

I've been looking into getting my Mac connected to the internet using a
mobile (no landline in my house either).

The various mobile companies do data packages for use with GPRS (General
Packet Radio System, an always on data connection pay by the Mb), you need a
GPRS capable phone however. From what I could tell Orange do the cheapest
deal at (http://www.orange.co.uk/talkplans/gprs/costs.html) they also do
unlimited data for £45/month other companies do similar packages, T-mobile
aparently do do GPRS stuff but I couldn't find any info on costs etc on
their website, they do do PCMCIA cards though.

Bandwidth wise a normal mobile will give you a max data rate of 9.6kbps (yes
thats k, i.e. dog slow), GPRS anything up to 56.6kbps (iirc it multiplexes
9.6kbps channels and is shared so it depends on what other people are
doing). If you're wondering why 9.6kbps, thats all the bandwidth you need to
carry a voice call with reasonable quality, normal 64kbps phone lines are
just overengineered.

If you just need email then many mobs can do pop3/imap stuff, plus WAP
browsing (for what thats worth)

I'm currently waiting on a bluetooth/USB adaptor to connect my laptop to my
mobile so have yet to actually get this all working on OSX and have no idea
for Linux thats a project for the future :)

chris

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.