[Wolves] Internet with a mobile?

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 11:21:34 BST 2004

> Ah. I didn't realise it was possible to get an unlimited bandwidth
> version. That almost makes it quite viable for someone commuting.

They dont seem to advertise the fact but it is hidden away in the business
section of their info. Other companies also do unlimited version but I dont
know much about it. You would have to be prepared to work very slowly
because at best its as fast as dial up, but if you just want to collect
emails or light browsing you're probably ok anything more intensive and
dialup drives me mad.

> Is the GPRS network complete though? Or is coverage limited
> to urban areas?

I think it should work where ever your mobile works because iirc its
basically a hack (in the sense that many very clever people spent years of
their lives working it out!) on top of GSM multiplexing GSM channels
together which is why it uses multiples of 9.6kbps, I live in Brum so
coverage dosn't matter to much to me :). You can also use it abroad so if
you get confused between Walsall and Warsaw you can still check multimap to
find your way home!

3-mobile might also be worth a look, in theory they should offer much better
bandwidth (its a UMTS or 3G network), but they didn't really do data when I
started looking in to this.

chris

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.