[Wolves] general kernel question

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Sun Apr 25 10:43:53 BST 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 10:30, C J Coleman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 10:12:51AM +0100, Ade Bradshaw wrote:
> > Secondly when do you see the majority of people switching to the
> > 2.6 kernel - I know some of you already run it
>
> This is pretty random, a lot of people like to wait until at least
> .10 - though it is personal test.  I believe that is has been
> stated that 2.6 is already more stable than 2.4, but that is just
> opinion for the most part.  When to run it: when you need or want
> something it has.

I run it on my laptop and it is very nice.  It does seem quicker but as
stability was never a problem before I can't comment on stabilty
improvments ;-)

I can say I have had problems compiling it on sparc64 and DJ (from
SWLug) can't get it working on sparc32 so it is only better if you have
commonly used hardware or need new i386 device drivers other platforms
YMMV as usual.

Give it a go as long as you keep a bootable kernel in your config you
shouldn't have too many problems.

sparkes