[Wolves] Text size

C J Coleman ug97cjc at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 30 14:40:00 BST 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:26:10PM +0100, Simon Burke wrote:
> this is a bit of a weird done, can anyone tell me how big one plain text
> (ASCII) character is in terms of bits or bytes?, i used to know but
> completely forgotten. The only reason I ask is that i need to find how
> much plain text data i can have in a 2Tb file. A strange request i know
> and a 2Tb file is huge and i never intend to reach that size but i need
> it to prove a point heh.

ASCII is actually 7-bits, but I think it may be stored as one byte.
The C 'char' primitive is one byte, with the positive values of a
'signed char' being ASCII.  Hope that helps,

--
C J Coleman <ug97cjc at cs dot bham dot ac dot uk>  GPG Key ID: A0F63EF1
GPG Key Fingerprint = ED46 AE41 133E B234 3E0B  DD16 3F5B BBA3 A0F6 3EF1