[Wolves] PGP

Jon Farmer jonfarmer at enta.net
Thu Aug 12 12:16:02 BST 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:

> Without falling out with you your argument doesn't stand up.
>
> 1. Why on earth would someone send a stolen or faked passport? The point is,
> to gain that type of signature you will have had to supply documents, most
> people know you will have had to supply documents (genuine, faked, stolen or
> forged) and therefore the trust level is stronger than a signature you have
> written out yourself. its like me saying I'm worth 4 million quid you
> wouldn't believe me until you saw a bank statement.

Someone would send a stolen or fake passport to misappropriate a digital
signature.

> Woh! Web? Trust? I trust nothing web wise, Viruses, spiders, scripts, addware,
> rouge sites, blah blah blah!

PGP's web of trust is nothing at all to do with WWW, World Wide Web or
the internet come to mention it.

> The WWW is the best market for malicious evil individuals they can be anyone
> anywhere and you wouldn't have a clue.

Hence the need for PGP's web of trust.

> I thought we promoted OPEN, FREE ideals? this smacks of closed selectiveness,
> no key, no entrance. Looks like I'll be locked out then, :-)

Not at all. I would respectfully suggest you do not understand what the
PGP web of trust is or the idea behind key signing parties.

Regards

Jon

--
Jon Farmer