[Wolves] PGP

Peter Evans zen8486 at zen.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 16:13:34 BST 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 15:34, Helen Randle wrote:
> Well, I'm enjoying the discussion, but I have a question (hopefully it's
> one other people might be thinking, although it could be just me!)
>
> What's PGP??
>
> I've got that it's some sort of digi sig thing, but what does it do? And
> how does it help me??
>
> Helen

You'll be sorry you asked, honest you will.

There's lots and lots of information about this subject out on the web,
ranging from the level that can be understood by the general user to the
mathematics underpinning the whole subject.  This URL is a relatively
'gentle' introduction to the subject:

http://www.avolio.com/columns/Crypto101.html

The PGP/Verisign debate is all around the trust model that's established in
order to distribute the public keys that are essential to the whole thing
working, or not as the case may be.

As for the suggestion of a LUG discussion/debate an excellent idea, we could
put the Verisign advocates in the red corner, the PGP in the blue and sell
tickets to cover the cost of the St Johns ambulance staff.

How does it affect you Helen, well at the moment it most likely doesn't unless
you are involved in sending sensitive information in electronic format.
--
Regards,

Pete Evans