[Wolves] PGP

Peter Evans zen8486 at zen.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 16:51:35 BST 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 16:34, Jon Farmer wrote:
> Its already been restricted. Its called the Regulation of investigatory
> Powers Bill

Last time I looked at RIP I understood that the message holder (company/ISP)
was obliged to release the content of the message upon the serving of an
appropriate court order.  Further this was for specific messages and/or
content.  They were talking about making admins hand over the encryption keys
for *ahem* secure government storage, but I thought they'd dropped this.  I'm
not such an insomniac to want to read the bill, not unless I have to, so
what's the current state of play Jon?

If they haven't implemented real-time monitoring of ISP messages then they're
still 'vulnerable' to time sensitive data being distributed in message
content that cannot be accessed easily.  I've seen a few people advocating
removing this possible vulnerability, citing it as a tool that undesirable
elements could exploit.  I don't think it's going to get that far, but I do
see the central repository idea becoming popular again.
--
Regards,

Pete Evans.