[Wolves] RIP

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Fri Aug 13 02:55:58 BST 2004

Peter Oliver wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Peter Evans wrote:
>> if I really, really want the data to disappear I can always lose the key.
>
> You get a couple of years for losing your key, IIRC.

Depends what "losing" means. If you can prove that the key is genuinely
not in your possession then you're OK. However, that means that you have
to prove a negative, which as you will all know is logically impossible.
So that puts you shit out of luck, as the vernacular has it.

Someone advanced to the gummint the idea that a criminal exchanging
encrypted child pornography would rather pretend to have lost their key
(sentence, 2 years or so) rather than reveal the contents of the
encrypted messages (sentence for trafficking in child porn, rather
longer than 2 years). The Man's brilliant solution to this was to
suggest increasing the maximum length of sentence for non-production of
keys to 10 years, presumably on the basis that any non-government
employee using strong encryption is a damned pinko subversive and is
probably guilty of _something_. Gotta love the government.

Aq.