[Wolves] Printers and Graphics card

Wayne morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 13:42:57 BST 2004

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jayne Heger
  To: wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
  Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 1:34 PM
  Subject: [Wolves] Printers and Graphics card

  Hello,

  A question for you guys and girls :-)
  I have £200 spare and have long decided that I need a new printer that can print out photos really well and I also need a new graphics card (I recently bought Grand Theft Auto Vice City) and really noticed how jerky it was, mines only a 32MB card

  I have in mind an Epson of some sorts for my printer, which would you go for? I only want to spend about £100ish pounds on one

  Yuck, hate epsons for one very good reason - you need to load the paper from behind - so you can't tuck the printer away on a shelf or under a desk.
  HP's front load, and are execellent for quality and relaiabilty, only ever had one break in 10 years and had about 10 different models in that time.
  The broke one was replaced overnight by HP, and only had a paper pick up fault.

  I've had HP 970c for years and they are superb, and recently got a Psc2410 all-in-one for £170 - though the psc range starts at about £100
  The extra dosh gets you some compact flash card readers, a lcd display, so you can print straight from card.
  Both models have drivers for LInux in Redhat, both these also have optional duplex unit so you can print on both sides of the paper - tho don't think this featyure is supported by Linux.

  cheers

  Wayne