[Wolves] .htaccess files(was my own personal web server)

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 01:20:19 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Baza" <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk>
To: <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 8:40 PM
Subject: [Wolves] .htaccess files(was my own personal web server)

> OK, my web server is almost ready to go live. What I want to know now is I
> want to put together an .HTACCESS file to block some domains and IP
> addresses from my site. Whats the format for this? Do I just make a text
> file, call it something like filter.htaccess and format like this ..
>
> Deny from suchandsuch.co.uk
> Deny from thisandthat.org
>
> Will that work?
>
> Barry

Hmm, not up on this one but if I recall .htacess is for stopping users
getting to get into specific directories without user/pass rather than
banning them from the site altogether.
If you don't want domains and IP's to visit ANY of your site its somewhere
else in Linux, more of a firewall or apache config area rather than
htacess - else you
would need to put a htacess file in EVERY directory on the site which is
impracticable -could be hundreds.