[Wolves] Changing Ubuntu's default networking profile

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 10:47:58 GMT 2004

On 4 Dec 2004 10:31:44 -0000, matthewrevell.3247378 at bloglines.com
<matthewrevell.3247378 at bloglines.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> As I've mentioned on this list before, Debian based distros seem
> to pick up an odd Malaysian nameserver, from my router. It's a hardware router
> and I can find no way to change the nameserver it passes during DHCP.
>
> Fedora
> didn't have the problem and, in Ubuntu, I can go to the Networking util and
> add a new profile, which has Blueyonder's nameservers.
>
> I'd rather not have
> to change it manually each time. I imagine I could use a script to change
> it but that's feels like a kludge. Does anyone know how to change it so that
> the default is for Ubuntu to use my choice of nameservers? Fedora, Red Hat
> and SuSe all managed it, so I know it's possible :)

you need to add something to your dhclient.conf file to tell it not to
overwrite whwen dhclient runs.

You use the supersede command.

Its just a case of adding the likes of:

supersede domain-name "www.example.org "
supersede nameserver <DNS IP HERE>

etc.
that should do the trick??

if im wrong try good ole:
man 5 dhclient.conf

that should tell you exactly what to put
--
Theres no place like ::1

Thanks,
SimonB