[Wolves] Ubuntu: Reconfiguring hardware

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 13:57:10 GMT 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:12:18 +0000, Chris Ball <chris at mnemonik.net> wrote:

>  From what I understand, due to the way that linux's inherit security is
> laid out, a virus would only be able to do damage to non-essential
> files, unless it somehow had root access to your files.
>
> Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't removing a linux virus involve
> just scanning your home directory 99% of the time?

That's my understanding too.  However, I think permissions also come
into play.  I have probably set up permissions incorrectly on one of
my drives.  In effect giving myself too many permissions for a user
rather than root or SU.  That could possibly be a disaster area for
other newcomers.  It can be a little too easy to give overall blanket
permission for a certain drive or folder when perhaps only read access
is really necessary.  I know, I have done this before and only
realised when I have become a bit more experienced with Linux.  And I
have a very, very long way to go yet :-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street