[Wolves] Ubuntu: Reconfiguring hardware

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 14:47:38 GMT 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:31:14 +0000, Chris Ball <chris at mnemonik.net> wrote:

> Yeah, I agree completely. I remember when I first delved into Linux, I
> found chmod and chown all very confusing. Kde and Gnome make changing
> permissions easier, but I believe that for people who perhaps are not
> especially computer-savvy, the differences between User,Group and Other
> would be quite vague, and that's before we bring user ownership into the
> mix.

He, he.  I had my first experiences with chmod when I first started
work at Wolves Uni.  It wasn't a simple matter of uploading web pages
then I also had to learn about chmod.  Thankfully I worked with a
great guy - Tony Ravenhill - who took me through the process.  This
was on Unix and back then I hadn't heard of Linux.  This was back in
1996 so Linux was still a bit of a black art then :-)

> However, as long as people take heed of the first Linux mantra "Don't
> use root unless you have too" I think that for the most part, the damage
>   viruses can do (unless they can gain root/service access to some
> files) will be very limited.

But how many do actually really listen to that very sound advice?  I'm
ashamed to say that I have only just started to do so on my Linux box.
 Perhaps the flip side of the coin where KDE and Gnome are concerned
is that changing permissions is 'too' easy?
--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street