[Wolves] Linux viruses

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 09:16:17 GMT 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 23:29, Andy Wootton wrote:
> Barbie wrote:
> >There are Linux viruses about, as are Mac viruses...
>
> ...but in most organisations the risks are insignificant compared with
> the stupid things your users would do if someone asked them to:
> Give their password to someone who telephones tham and claims to be from
> Tech Support.
> Click on a URL that says it will display a picture a naked lady (etc.).
> Click on a pop-up to check if they have any spy-ware
>
> In almost every company with more than a hand full of people, the most
> cost-effective security measure you can take is education, education, OK
> bored now.

IMHO the most annoying thing today is spyware/addware while viruses can do
damage the proliferation of spyware is frightening.

We run Webroot sweeper here, I think this is a fantastic product and picks up
a good 98% + attacks We have it set to scan of a night time and generally it
finds a couple over night.

We had a workstation in the other day that had 2000 + traces and 687 programs
of spyware.

The click to see if you have any spyware is a big no no, don't do it! this
will stick some really viscous spyware on your system.

Fortunately this is mostly a Windows problem on the plus side it does mean
that I can look at certain sites (not porn) without fear of infection using
my FC laptop.

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.