[Wolves] ntop

Chris Ball chris at mnemonik.net
Tue Dec 7 11:53:02 GMT 2004

  I was hoping you could do like you can when Loading Windows and give the
> machine name/description as I think thats what is getting picked up for the
> other machines in ntop.

Speak to your admin, and ask them if they can put a BOOTP/DHCP
reservation on that static IP that you use, and also ask them to add a
DNS entry for your laptop.

If ntop is using DNS to get host information (as I think you suggested
by saying that the other computers have a host name? I may be wrong with
that) then this would fix the problem. It depends on how ntop resolved
the host names of the computers as to how you'd get your fedora laptop
to show up, but even if you can't get the name resolution to work, there
would still be a DHCP reserve for your laptop, and it's host name in the
DNS records, which you could show your boss.