[Wolves] Linux viruses

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 18:54:23 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 07 Dec 2004 12:46, Kevanf1 wrote:

> I am genuinely worried that I may inadvertently allow something onto
> my Linux PC.

I was wondering...

Would everything would work properly if the "noexec" mount option was used
for /home, /tmp and /var/tmp. This should make it somewhat harder for users
to purposefully download and run "unofficial" programs, rather than being
limited to those the sysadmin has provided. (see manual page for mount(8) for
more details).

Unfortunately this would not be an effective way of preventing against
viruses. Ways round might include using use scripting languages, browser
plugins(?), application config files, etc.

Regards,

James