[Wolves] City and Guilds stuff - PC related

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Wed Dec 8 17:23:49 GMT 2004

baza wrote:
>>Not easy and bear in mind I'm registered disabled too.  Which despite
>>all the legislation actually doesn't make a blind bit of difference in
>>the job market.
>>

> I can really relate to that. I had a renal transplant two years ago.
> Before that I was on dialysis for ages. And now can I get a job? Guess.

The obvious thing to say is that's taking the piss ;-) but I can relate
to tales like this.  I know several people who are fit to do the jobs
they are qualified for but get turned down for health reasons.

A few years ago a couple of graduates (one white and one asian) used to
apply for the same jobs with almost identical CV's but with one
obviously Indian name.  They would then sue the company when the Asian
lad wasn't offered an  interview and the white guy was.  It could be an
urban legend but I sort of remember seeing them presenting their results
on tv and actually making a living from this for a year or two.

Perhaps you should apply for the same job twice with different names
(not illegal to use an alias unless you are avoiding a criminal check)
but with only one declaring any health concerns.  I wonder which would
get an interview given it's illegal to NOT offer a disabled applicant a
job if their disability is the only distingushing feature between two
applicants.

> Baza

sparkes
--
<davee> "Sparkes, the Pete Best of LugRadio"