[Wolves] re; cheap dell zeon box

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 12:09:38 GMT 2004

On Friday 10 December 2004 11:37, sparkes wrote:

> Kelly, Martin wrote:
> > The offer looks really great, but, a good friend tells me that Dell pc's
> > can be a bit of a problem when it comes to upgrades and parts, i.e. ide
> > cables and hard drives etc.  Am I wrong? am I looking a gift horse in the
> > mouth?  Have I missed the boat?  Answers on a postcard to.......... mart.
>
> Dell's consumer stuff has quite a poor rep but the business stuff is top
> notch.  As this is a small business server I would think the quality
> would be excellent.  Unfortunatly the offer did say it would run until
> the 15th or until they ran out and it looks like they ran out ;-)

OK Finlay something I can discuss with authority :-P

Sparkes statement is 90% correct some of the Business stuff is not too good
either you need to keep a couple of things in mind with Dell stuff

1. The kit is produced on a production line don't be fooled by the add they
ran where an old boy took a dusty box off a shelf with the slogan "We custom
build your Computer" a good 60% of the kit is on a shelf they put the things
together all day and every then plonked in storage its very easy to
reconfigure to customers needs.

The support is not the best either, obviously you have to phone Ireland they
will want to know everything including your lineage back to 1702 they will
then contact the authorised support company in the relevant country they do
aim to achieve next business day but we have had customers wait up to a week.

On the whole their stuff is very good and the prices are excellent (we cant
beat them with our own clones) we do get a mediocre discount as a reseller
but we couldn't get the 1600sc any cheaper than the £99.00 they we're offered
at.

Packard Bell

These are great 'First Timer' machines, cheap and packed full of goodies this
was one of the first PC's I had the down side is as Kevan said if you want to
open the thing up they don't like any other hardware that is not already
installed this is because most of the parts are keyed into the Packard Bell
software you get with the machine I had no end of trouble with Modems, sound
cards and graphics cards in the end I gave up and built my own from scratch.

The moral is you get what you pay for just because its cheap doesn't mean its
good for what you want to do.

Thats not Pete moaning thats experience talking.

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk