[Wolves] Apple Airport Express & Linux (Was: Mac or PC Laptop?)

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 23:38:26 GMT 2004

david at codepoets.co.uk wrote:

> Quoting Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>:
>
>> david at codepoets.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>>  unfortunately as Aq pointed out, the
>>> airpoot express isn't supported under Linux yet ... as we've found out.
>>
>> Is it 'just' admin and music that is unavailable? i.e. Once it was
>> configured from a dual-boot Mac, could Linux use it as a normal 802.11g
>> wireless hub? Win XP or 2000 can.
>
> Errm.. I don't understand. Please rephrase.
>
> David.

David,

I believe the original Airport worked as a wireless access point with
Linux boxes fitted with 802.11 cards but couldn't be used to administer
the box for obvious reasons of proprietary management software so you
needed one MAC OS box on your network. I would have thought that the
Airport Express would have provided the same level of functionality for
Linux clients. I wouldn't necessarily expect the new USB printer sharing
or iTunes streaming to the audio port to work though because of Apple's
proprietry encryption in support of their aim of forcing music copyright
owners to charge a standard fee under the control of iTunes DRM.

Woo