[Wolves] cheap dell xeon box

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 11:18:18 GMT 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:27:35 +0000, Peter Cannon
<peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 December 2004 10:01, Gary wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> >  I have been chasing up my order for the servers offered by Dell, and
> > here is a copy of their response.
> >  I thought the offer was too good to be true !
> >
> > Gary
> > ------------
> >
> > Dear Customer,
> >
> > Thank you for contacting Dell Online Customer Care.
> >
> > As per our records, your Internet order has been terminated because of a
> > pricing error. I apologize if you were not notified of this order's
> > cancellation. You will also receive a e-mail from our Internet team
> > regarding this cancellation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kevin.
>
> ARGUE, SHOUT, THREATEN! Someone on this list said they rang them, did you get
> a name? They may well have a 'get out of gaol clause' but like in the shops
> if its marked at a certain price thats what they have to sell it at.
*snip*
> Regards,
> Peter Cannon.
> peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
>
> "There is every excuse for not knowing
> there is no excuse for not asking"

Mmmmm, aaaah, not 100% true.  The actual law states that they either
sell it to you at that price or they do not sell it all to you.  For
that transaction.  If, a contract has been agreed - verbally is
legally binding but you do need a witness - then they are bound by law
to sell at the nominated price.  If however, a contract has not been
reached, i.e. the item is fetched off a shelf  and then the sales
person states that he/she made a mistake and the price is actually
much higher then you don't, unfortunately, have a leg to stand on.  If
the item had been paid for the seller cannot then decide they have
undercharged you and demand more.  Tough on the seller for making a
mistake.

It also doesn't mater in law how many other people may have purchased
the item at the incorrect price.  The seller is still not obliged to
sell it to you for that price.  If Gary has an e-mail confirming his
order then he has every chance in law of pursuing the claim as a
contract has been agreed.

Remember the Argos televison fiasco a couple or so years ago?  They
managed to get out of that one becuase of the way the law works.

It's rotten but that's life and the law.

:-)))

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer