[Wolves] Tux and copyright?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 15:45:52 GMT 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:48:46 +0000, Alan Pope <alan.pope at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:36:06 +0000, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is Tux a copyrighted symbol?
> >

> I think you mean trademark, not copyright. No it's not a trademark.
> "Linux" is a trademark of Linus Torvalds in some places, but Tux
> isn't.

Yeah, I meant trademark.  Forgive me, I've been reading too much abou
the European software 'copyright' thing over the last few weeks.

> > If it is then these people are pushing the boundaries a bit:
> >  (with apologies for it being an advertising link but it just happened
> > to have been sent to me as spam)
> >
> > http://www.freemobilestuff.net/
> >

> Looks *nothing* like tux *whatsoever* in my book. Your eyes must need
> looking at.
>
> This is the original tux --> http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/
>
> And on his page it says "Permission to use and/or modify this image is
> granted provided you acknowledge me lewing at isc.tamu.edu and The GIMP
> if someone asks."
>
> > The penguins look very similar... a touch manic perhaps but similar...
>
> Do you wear glasses? Are you wearing them now? :D
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

 Perfect eyesight, Al.  I did say they were a bit manic looking.  I
had to ask because I, personally, thought of Tux straight away and
wondered whether the site was anything Linux related.  I'm sure I
cannot have been the only one....can I (echo bounces off the walls of
an empty room)  ;-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer