[Wolves] ADSL or cable broadband?

trog trog at trog-oz.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 09:43:27 GMT 2004

On Saturday 31 January 2004  1:15 pm, you wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience of running ADSL from Linux, or are you
> guys all Blueyonder? There's some really good ADSL deals out there, at the
> mo, and I'd much prefer a BT line ... but Blueyonder seems so much easier
> to run from Linux. Any thoughts?

ADSL from Demon using the purple frog (the speedtouch)
The only grief that I had getting it to work was getting a pppoa daemon.
There are two drivers for the speedtouch, one from Benoit Papillault which
runs in the userspace and one that has to be compiled into tke kernel, which
is known as speedbundle.

I started off by installing the former, but I could not find a pppoa daemon
so I gave up with it.  There are links in the supplied documentation that
supposedly point to said daemon, but I could not find them.  Since I couldn't
get this to run, I went the speedbundle route.

I had terrible problems getting the thing to compile.  I am not a C
programmer, and I do not understand how a C program determines which
path to search when using libraries.  During compilation I was getting many
dependency issues.  All of the necessary libs were on my box, just in the
wrong place.  Eventually, after copying a few libs around I got it to
compile.  Actually, the bit that wouldn't compile was the pppoe daemon.

Knowing what I do now, if I was to have to install ADSL again, I'd opt for
the other drivers as they do not involve recompiling the kernel (and there is
a lot less junk involved, such as the hotplug stuff; I do not believe that
this is strictly required).  I'd use the pppoe daemon from the speedbundle.

--
Trog Woolley  |  trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk
(A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)