[Wolves] ADSL or cable broadband?

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 12:50:21 GMT 2004

bambam at opendildonics.org said:

> (Obviously) it depends on the calls you make and the tariff
> you are on. They can be ok.

True. I'll probably stick OneTel on the line, with a dialer. Telewest's
to-mobile charges are quite high, from what I remember ... oh, and 2p a
minute for a local, evening call, is just ludicrous.

>> But I don't wanna get a BT line if I'm already
>> paying for a Telewest line.
>
> Plus BT suck.

True, they are stuck in the dark ages, in many respects. They did invent
fibre optics, tho' :)

> However, you've paid no attention to badwidth: BY and others
> give b/w capped at say around 64K/b actual data throughput,
> and with fast far-end connections that's exactly what you'll
> get. ADSL has a typical contention ratio of 50:1. Which is
> pants. Most annoying when bob and alice over the road start
> downloading holiday videos slowing my download from
> hotandnasty.com.

Good point. I always got great speeds from BY, whereas my Virgin ADSL
connection seemed to swing from 45Kps to 58Kps.

> I'd go for BY every time and twice on sundays.

I think that's settled, then.

Cheers!