[Wolves] ADSL or cable broadband?

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Mon Feb 2 10:22:29 GMT 2004

Aquarius wrote:
> Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
>
>>Right, I should  have moved into my new house by the end of next month, so
>>it's time I chose: ADSL or Blueyonder.
>
> When I went cable, I did so for two reasons: so I could get cable
> telly and phones too, and because ADSL was more expensive and less
> well supported. These days, the second reason has pretty much gone
> away, and there are fewer restrictions -- ADSL providers tend to let
> you run servers on your end and so on without bitching as much, that
> sort of thing. Given the choice, I think I'd probably go ADSL.
Hear hear.

But then I'm with ADSL myself so I'm probably biased... :)

But I've found that running a HTTP server on blueyonder tends to get
your IP changed, or (worse) the port blocked.  Quickly.  No I *wasn't*
running an open relay, before anyone asks... ;)

I've *never* found that on ADSL (I'm with Freeserve - yes they do pull
silly buggers with email but that's it).  I run an HTTP server and my IP
has been the same for what seems like /aeons/.

If you're sensible and run smoothwall on an old-ish box directly facing
the internet, ADSL with frogmodem /will/ work out-of-the-box.  You just
have to make sure to d/l the (small) binary driver first.

I'd go with ADSL.  In fact, I *did* go with ADSL.  :)

--
Dan