[Wolves] Am I forgiven?

Jono Bacon jonobacon at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 13:21:42 GMT 2004

Hi Peter,

Of course you are forgiven. We are all mates here. :)

Incidentally, I have been posting around to try and
find out why your messages are being stopped. IT is
also starting to happen to other LUG members too. I
think the spam filter is having issues.

I will kepp you posted with what is going on. :)

Cheers,

  Jono

--- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Anyone fancy teaching an idiot how to do a simple
> home network?
>
> I would like to get my laptop connected to my base
> unit at home, nothing
> fancy just to (initially) swap files, backup laptop
> to base unit HDD.
>
> I have a DELL laptop which is Fedora Core1 (from the
> Linux format cover
> disk) I have a work profile: "centro" with a domain
> of
> peterc.centrosales.co.uk and IP and subnet for work
> on eth03 (This works
> fine (at work)), I have also created a "home"
> profile: on eth02 this
> currently has the standard 127.0.0.1 IP and standard
> subnet.
>
> My base unit is an Hyunjui (you wont have heard of
> it) with an external
> Hayes modem and three HDD's running dual boot win98
> HDD1 40GB and SuSe
> Pro 9 (Retail version) HDD2 40GB. I think the domain
> is Linux at localhost?
>
> I read through both the RedHat and SuSe manuals all
> Friday night and
> Saturday morning, after four extra strength
> Ibuprofen I am still none
> the wiser.
>
> I have NIS and NFS installed on the base unit, I'm
> no expert but I think
> the Laptop is using static IP (This is because work
> set it up for me) I
> assume the base is using DHCP (This is possibly the
> problem?). The
> manuals go on about exporting folders but if I read
> it correctly they
> would be exported to the very machine I am working
> on ie, my base unit
> (bit of a stupid idea why would I want to export
> something I can access
> normally back into itself?) I have a rough idea
> regarding the principals
> of networks (under windows) I assume I could give
> the base unit an IP of
> 127.0.0.1 and the laptop under the profile of
> "home"127.0.0.0 would that
> work?
>
> Can someone spare 5 mins to send me an idiots guide
> to home networking
> in plain non techie language, something along the
> lines of "on your base
> unit click on this then click on that, type this,
> save that, start such
> and such a service"
>
> Then "on your Laptop click on this then click on
> that, type this, save
> that, start such and such a service"
>
> I don't like messing around with the settings on my
> laptop as work gets
> a bit arsey about putting them back in again. I read
> somewhere that you
> can have a work and a home profile so that all I
> need to do is switch
> between profiles (I can do that (1 team point to me
> I think)).
>
> My ultimate goal is to have my base unit as a (Home)
> Server and the
> laptop as a mobile slave.

> [...]

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Professional Writer / Web Developer / Musician