[Wolves] Spyware

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Mon Feb 9 13:28:03 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 17:00, Old Dan wrote:
> Jono Bacon wrote:
> > Heya,
> >

> >>Opera (web browser) also has adverts when in freebie
> >>mode.
> >

> > Not spyware though is it - its just adware. How does
> > Limewire have spyware? What does it do?
> Well I do know that at least LimeWire for windows uses cydoor (which as
> far as I have been able to discern is spyware as well as adware) to
> display it's advertising.
Limewire on windows seems  to contain even more adware and spyware than
this.  I did a quick install on one of our boxes a couple of months ago
and it installed several packages in addition to itself and needed a dam
good clean to get rid of it all

> Now this self same advertising is displayed in LimeWire for Linux.  I
> don't know why, but I just don't wanna risk it.  :)
The linux version doesn't seem to contain any but is claims to be
crippled in the demo version and downloads are considerablly more shaky
than with other gnutella clients.

I agree with your first post use bittorrent ;-)

sparkes