[Wolves] Console source formatting. (Ping: Aq.)

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Fri Feb 13 13:40:09 GMT 2004

Aquarius wrote:
> Old Dan spoo'd forth:
>
>>>Just couldn't get to grips with it. I don't know why. It seems to
>>>theoretically be configurable enough to do what I want, but it's
>>>falling foul of the Emacs flaw: I can't understand it to configure
>>>it...
>>
>>How so?  What exactly do you need it to do?
>
> Current list (from http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2003/07/04/predator):
>
>     * Runs on Linux
Does that

>     * Runs in a console/xterm
That too

>     * Has an X version (although I can live with 'xterm -e fooedit
> $FILENAME' if I must)
Does that (xjed)

>     * Syntax highlighting (including Python, HTML, and email, and
> ideally easily configurable)
Does that

'Easily configurable syntax highlighting' - does such a beast even exist?

>     * Allows rebinding of keys easily (i.e., I should be able to map
> ^Q to quit by putting "^" followed by "Q" into my config file, not by
> having to work out which combination of weird octal keycodes my
> terminal sends when I hit ^Q)
I /think/ you can do that, but don't quote me.  I know you can bind keys
but I am not sure how the codes are done.

>     * Is not modeful (vim in insertmode does not qualify)
Does that

>     * Is completely scriptable in Python, or, failing that:
Doesn't do that

>     * Allows me to pass either the whole file or a highlighted area
> through an external command, and allows me to bind a key to do this
> with named commands directly (so I can hit one bound key and have the
> whole file passed to an external command I specifed in my config file,
> not have to enter the command every time)
Does that

>     * Comes with a sane set of default keybindings (including
> highlighting text with shift-arrows) so I don't have to rebind the
> world
Will emulate a number of other editors in that respect so does that

>     * Is not Emacs
Definitely does that

> I'm prepared to compromise on some of them if I have to, but you have
> to justify why I should :)
Lots of does thats there.  :)

--
Dan