[Wolves] The good samaritan

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 11:31:16 GMT 2004

Morning David

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 11:18, David Goodwin wrote:
> Peter Cannon wrote:
> > Hi David
> >
> > Good news 98% success
> >

> well done
Thanks for that as I keep saying to my Oberstumbanfuher a little praise
is worth millions and costs nothing!

> > I can ping .99 (Suse machine)
> >
> > When I implement the mount command I get "RPC time out"
> >

> On the client? Did you try pinging by name? (therefore making sure
> /etc/hosts works ok).

Ah, I have failed you Obi-wan Kanobe I only used/checked IP's mainly
because everyone said if you can get IP's talking you can worry about
named servers later.

Like my report card says "Must do better".

> Make sure you are running portmap (i.e. "ps -aef | grep portmap" in a
> terminal) on the client.

Do I need to have this running permanently while my connection is up? Eg
have a terminal open as well as Konqueror (browsing between the two
systems?

> Also make sure that the server is running "mountd" (sometimes called
> rpc.mountd) like the above. You may need to run
> "/etc/init.d/nfs{d|server} start"
> (Can't remember what the script is called on SuSe - it's gotta be
> nfsSOMETHING, and I thought it was done automatically if there was an
> entry in /etc/exports, but I may be wrong).
>
> You may also have a firewall on the server which might be in the way...
> check that it is set to trust your local LAN perhaps? Or allow NFS/RPC
> through (I think it's all UDP).
>
> Also check that /etc/hosts.allow has ALL:ALL (or ALL:192.168.0.X) in it
> on the server (Where X is the client's IP).
>
> > Now it must be doing something because the PC (Suse) had a panic attack
> > and froze, couldn't do a thing with it so had to switch off mains power.
>
> Hmm. I wouldn't expect that....
>

> > Whats RPC? and any thoughts on the remaining 2% user ID's are the same
> > so are passwords suse sneyd home is shared out.
>
> RPC = remote procedure call.. it's used by NFS etc .. couldn't tell you
> much more to be honest.

I not sure if she who must be obeyed will let me play with my toys
tonight so it might be a couple of days until I can get back to you on
this whole issue.

> David.
> (Looking forward to a birthday curry lunch)
I was thinking more along the lines of letting you have half an hour
behind the bike sheds with me camel.