[Wolves] The good samaritan

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 12:00:13 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 11:42, David Goodwin wrote:
> >>On the client? Did you try pinging by name? (therefore making sure
> >>/etc/hosts works ok).
> >

> > Ah, I have failed you Obi-wan Kanobe I only used/checked IP's mainly
> > because everyone said if you can get IP's talking you can worry about
> > named servers later.
> >

> Yeah - I said that. Was just wondering if you'd gone one step further :)
The path to righteousness is long and full of danger, plus I'm obviously
not the brightest spark in the match box.

> >>Make sure you are running portmap (i.e. "ps -aef | grep portmap" in a
> >>terminal) on the client.
> >

> > Do I need to have this running permanently while my connection is up? Eg
> > have a terminal open as well as Konqueror (browsing between the two
> > systems?
>
> While your connection is up? What connection?
See what I mean about using language you don't really understand! What I
was on about was the connection from the laptop to the pc. Sorry

> Having a terminal open is generally a good idea anyway - you can do
> handy things iwth it - e.g. tail -f /var/log/messages normally helps fix
> most problems.
It will be done! (however all logs seem to be in ancient Hebrew and only
sys admins can decipher that!).