[Wolves] Air that I breathe

Kat Goodwin kat at codepoets.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 13:11:42 GMT 2004

> Hi fizz
>
> Ooh you are a pedantic little bugger aren't you!
>
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 11:24, fizzy wrote:
>>  --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>> > Ah I didn't mean it really, my daughters are
>> > goddesses and I am waiting
>> > shotgun in hand for the day when so low life thinks
>> > he is good enough to
>> > even breath the same air as them
>>
>> As we all breathe the same air as them by default I'm
>> rather worried :) You mean your father, doesn't have specially purified
>> air imported in from the
>> fairies in never never land for you? Oh! dear!
>>  I'm guessing they are rather young
>> so we don't have to worry about your prison sentence
>> for a while :)
> Yes they are a very precocious 12 (Twins I might add) Monique (one of my
> daughters) thought it highly amusing the other night to wait until I had
> been home a couple of hours, laid on the floor in front of the tele,
> engrossed in a program and give me a piece of A4 paper "daddy look at
> what we did in school today" I read the first couple of lines (not
> really taking much notice to be honest) when mount Vesuvius erupted!
>
> There in black and white, full on, no holds barred was full explanation
> of sex and sexual intercourse.

Considering a not insignificant number of 12 year olds are participating
in that act, judgement aside, explaining the act and its consequences can
hardly be avoided!

> Now I'm no prude but at 12yrs I think it could have been handled a bit
> more delicate. My daughters thought it hysterical and proceeded to ask
> "do you do that dad?" I am now hiding in the spare room and seeking
> political asylum in the Falklands.
>
> Finally my girls will not be having boyfriends as blokes only want one
> thing and if they say "I just want to be friends" or "I just want to buy
> you a drink" they're lying buggers.

I think its difficult to learn how to handle interactions between genders
when they aren't allowed to develop relationships.  Discussing issues
frankly and providing them with the information they need to make choices
is, imho, as much as you can do.  In my experience (and I was a teenager
not all that long ago...) those children whose parents forbid them to do
such things either took that as a prompt to behave as 'badly' as they
could, or were forced to hide perfectly innocent relationships that did
arise.

Of course, its all a matter of personal choice as a parent...

Kat

<snip>