[Wolves] Y? why?

Jono Bacon jonobacon at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 12:08:55 GMT 2004

--- "simonb+geek-web.co.uk" <simonb at geek-web.co.uk>
wrote:

> > What's good about Y then?
> >

> http://www.y-windows.org/about.html
> Basically it is a moderised version of Xfree86

<snip>

I used to think that any alternative to X would be
great, and Y does seem quite interesting. The only
thing I am not too keen on is the fact that it has a
widget set built into it. This *could* be great, but I
think it will not be adopted as far too many people
prefer Qt/GTK. If the Y developers think they can
create a good alternative that is faster then great,
but allow people to port widget sets to it.

Oh, and as for dynamic video driver loading/unloading,
is this needed? surely you would only set up your
video card once when you install it?

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Professional Writer / Web Developer / Musician