[Wolves] Y? why?

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 18:02:42 GMT 2004

> I used to think that any alternative to X would be
> great, and Y does seem quite interesting. The only
> thing I am not too keen on is the fact that it has a
> widget set built into it. This *could* be great, but I
> think it will not be adopted as far too many people
> prefer Qt/GTK. If the Y developers think they can
> create a good alternative that is faster then great,
> but allow people to port widget sets to it.

The idea seems to be that other toolkits (Qt ports for example) would be
built on top of the native Y widgets simply (?) by replacing the backend
code that translates Qt widgets into Xwindows calls with one that translates
into Y widgets. How easy that is in reality I guess depends on the level Qt
abstracts at and how well that matches the Y widgets.

http://www.y-windows.org/pipermail/y-devel/2004-February/000190.html
Has Mark Thomas's (no not the comedian... well actually he might be I
guess... but I'm guessing no) take on it

I like the idea of using a single widget set, desktop linux is horribly
inconsistant. At the moment with Qt, GTK, several minor toolkits (wxWindows,
FLTK, GNUStep, Motif/Lesstif, there are others) each with their own devotees
and uses, and each producing apps that look nothing like the others and
needing their own libraries installed, its all a bit crufty. A single widget
set that gives a consistant style, allows consistant theming etc could make
linux visually a lot better, and on the (mass-market) desktop, looks are
important.

Wether Y will solve these problems (without throwing out the baby with the
bathwater) remains to be seen.

chris

> Oh, and as for dynamic video driver loading/unloading,
> is this needed? surely you would only set up your
> video card once when you install it?

Maybe, but its cool and what other reason is needed?

> Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Professional Writer / Web Developer / Musician

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.