[Wolves] mozilla annoyances ?

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 17:36:28 GMT 2004

sparkes wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 16:48, Matthew Revell wrote:
>

>>The code for the site we're working on is pretty run of the mill stuff.
>>But that's not really my point, so to recap: is Gecko a buggy rendering
>>engine?
>>

>not normally.  It can be pedantic sometimes where CSS is concerned.  I
>think Opera sometimes behaves as a ie workalike just to stop users
>moaning ;-)
>
>http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/duplicates.html lists the most reported bugs
>in mozilla and not many of them are in rendering

I've just skim-read a lengthy thread on Bugzilla, regarding the alt tag
not displaying as tooltips. Ye gads! The lads at Mozilla appear to be
full of themselves. I'm sure they're the same people who insist that
infinitives are never split, just because they read that they shouldn't
be, somewhere long ago. (Aside: split infinitives apply only to Latin
based languages, and ours is Germanic.) The truth is that *in the real
world* people use ALT tags as tool tips. They whine about this stopping
people from using alt tags for their intended and proper accessiblity
purpose but, for the love of [insert imaginary deity here], that does
not mean that ALT tags can't also be displayed as tool tip in the
absence of a title tag.

I agree that in many cases Mozilla is right to stand its ground,
otherwise IE will replace the W3C. But on alt tag tooltips they're just
being a pain in the neck.