[Wolves] mozilla annoyances ?

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Wed Feb 25 10:09:30 GMT 2004

Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
>>It hurts a lot if you're using a screen reader, because a tooltip and
>>alternative text for an image are completely different things.
>>Essentially, the Mozilla team have the opinion that if they don't do it
>>right, then no-one will ever, ever fix the problems, and they are right.

> Now, I imagine your next mail is a rather longer rebuttal of my claim
> that alt should be displayed as a tool tip but I don't agree that it
> hurts if you're using a screen reader. It's the people who create crappy
> ALT tags who are causing the problem. If a title tag doesn't exist,
> what's the problem in displaying the alt tag, instead?

Because people create crappy alt tags. You want to encourage people to
use alt tags for alternative text and title tags for tooltips. Anyone
who has created an alt tag as a tooltip has done a crappy alt tag *by
definition*. Therefore, if we *don't* display them as tooltips, when
they say "why doesn't it work as a tooltip?" they'll be told "alt tags
and title tags are different; add your tooltip to the title tag instead".

Aq.

--
"Wow," Villig said on re-entry. "It's all still here. The sky, the
earth, all that stuff. Cool. And no snakes."